Wednesday, October 25, 2006


THE JAVA LOG

So in the spirit of my last post, I will again be discussing fire. This time though in a most interesting way. This will be my first product review on my blog.
WELL...
I am all for the three "R's" of conservation(reduce, reuse, recycle) but today Sean and I came across a product that took that philosophy to a WHOLE new level. This guy has taken used coffee grounds from the billions of coffeehouses around the nation and mixed them with wax to form one of those firelogs that you are supposed to burn in your fireplace to have a romantic evening if you have no wood and firebuilding skills whatsoever.
Well Sean and I, being coffee lovers, just HAD to see this for ourselves. We went to our local organic market, okay seriously who else would sell something like this, and bought us a Java Log.
We went and burned the log in Sean's firebowl out in his back yard. Well considering I have had limited experience with firelogs in general( I know how to gather wood), I cannot say how this compares with its compeditors such as Duraflame. I do know that for a bunch of old coffee this thing burned for a good two hours. It is supposed to be better for the environment because of fewer pollutants, but I could not really comment on that. I do know that you could put your face straight in the smoke and not come up coughing like a pack-a-day smoker.
So I guess the experience was a pleasant one. I would recommend this product for someone who has extremely low testosterone levels and does not want to learn basic firebuilding. Who knows the ladies might even be impressed that you know how to light a bag on fire!
But for me I will continue to use WOOD in my fires and know that coffee grounds belong in the compost pile.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've got the event chronicled by picture on my blog.

On a side note, I like how you identify Wild Oats as a "local organic market." Someone at Rainbow Blossom is probably weeping in their breakfast tofu right now.

Anonymous said...

Funny guys! Or, funny, guys!
Anyway, I guess maybe blogs can't be spellchecked. Otherwise the word would have been competitors (unless, that is, compeditor is some newly evolved bipedal humanoid bred for American football).

Sorry boys, still checking your work after all these years.

Dad Dennis