Friday, October 13, 2006


There is No Such Thing as The Meat Fairy

Nothing dies easily in the woods. Animals perish, with or without our help. Most of them die violently and painfully, perhaps in the talons of a hawk, in the jaws of a coyote or as a victim of starvation or disease. My kill is quick and humane. And make no mistake, hunting by humans is natural. Man has always hunted. Don't let anyone convince you otherwise. Jim Zumbo

Where does our meat come from? Is there really a part of the chicken shaped like a boot or an egg to make the McNuggets? Is that all beef patty really all beef?

The subject of meat is today's topic. We are a culture that has lost our connection to the earth. We get our food in restaurants or grocery stores. We think nothing of the origin of our food.
Since I was a boy, I have been raised as a hunter and a fisherman. I know more about the subject than some. I have eaten from the bounty of my own hands and the Lord's provision. I have faced ridicule from many claiming that it is barbaric and cruel. These assessments not from vegans or PETA, but from friends and family that are themselves carnivores. As if to kill and butcher a deer is barbaric, while the unseen cows may die a death that must be noble. The truth is that many is our culture have placed the messy job of preparing meat in the hands of other men. In doing so many have forgotten what all goes into their meals. They think nothing of the farmer's long days, nothing of the butcher's bloody hands, nothing of the fishermen's weeks at sea. The meat is just always there when we need it. Either already prepared or in a cellophane wrap ready to cook.
I am not asking that everyone take up hunting and fishing. I am asking that everyone think about what all goes into bringing meat to the table. A life was lost. A sacrifice was made. Blood was split. We should not feel guilty about this for the Bible says,

And God blessed Noah and his sons and said to them, Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth. The fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth and upon every bird of the heavens, upon everything that creeps on the ground and all the fish of the sea. Into your hand they are delivered. Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. And as I gave you the green plants, I give you everything. Genesis 9:1-3

But if you have ever killed something then you know that there is a sadness there. What was once alive is now dead. I cannot explain it. It is just there. Some might say that it has to do with the Fall and that death was not what was originally planned for this world. When we see death it leaves us longing for the next world where there will be no death. I don't know. Maybe.
I do know that meat is good. I like it. Our bodies were made for it. We have incisors good for cutting and gnawing. Our bodies require amino acids only found in meat. And it taste good.

As long as the procurment of the meat is ethical and humane, I say enjoy.

No comments: