Thursday, October 12, 2006


Thoughts from a Deer stand (Just kidding Sean!)

This morning Louisville awoke to unseasonably low temperatures. Tonight they are saying that we may have our first frost. This is amazing since Tuesday I was swatting mosquitoes and sweating while sitting in the deer stand. The best part of this morning was when I walked Missy out to her car to say goodbye as she left for work. She said, "Hey Look at the geese!" Well I glanced up with little enthusiasm. We see geese everyday. Our apartment complex has a small pond and is always filled with ducks and geese. Well today was special. We saw "V" after "V" after "V." (Geese fly in a "V" formation for all those out there who have very little natural contact) Well it seems that this massive cold air from tho north has pushed down our first wave of waterfowl from the great northern plains. It was great because we saw about a hundred geese in all and they were flying low, just above the roof tops.
This morning was a blessing. It says summer is over! Fall is on its way. The leaves are starting to really change here as well. Everyday brings new colors. There is a distinct nip in the air as some would say. Everywhere we look the season is changing!
Today's assignment is this: Go outside...yes I know it maybe cold where you are, just put on some warm clothes!!! We serve a Creator that declares His own glory through His creation. This creation is not static. It is ever changing. The seasons remind us a lot about life, rebirth in the spring/death in the fall. There is a reason people refer to the autumn of life.
This is a season of harvest and celebration! This morning before work Missy and I were hollowing out the innards of a pumpkin she had bought. Tonight I will enjoy some roasted pumpkin seeds. The smell of cinnamon is in the air(Right Kevin?)
The days will grow shorter. The days will grow colder. The world will begin to look gloomy to some. But we will begin appreciate our warm clothes, our warm homes, and our warm food. Let us not let this season pass us by unnoticed!!!

For Seasonal Reading: A Sand County Almanac by Aldo Leopold

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is this "Missy and I" stuff?? I believe Missy pointed out the geese to Kyle and I belive Missy hollowed out the pumpkin! HAHA! I belive Missy is becoming more aware of her surroundings in nature!

Anonymous said...

Kyle you must have known that this is National Wildlife Refuge Week! I celebrated with my parents by going to the Shiawassee National Wildlife Refuge where four rivers join to form the largest tributary in Michigan. I think I saw more Canada Geese in one hour than I've seen through the course of my entire life; it was unreal. Surprisingly my mom didn't take any pictures during that portion of the day otherwise I would send you some. Well, I just got in from the snow and need to change out of my wet clothes. - See you next week.

Anonymous said...

Kyle, you must have known that this is National Wildlife Refuge Week! My parents and I celebrated yesterday by visiting the Shiawassee National Wildlife Refuge which is practically inside the city of Saginaw, Michigan but forms the largest tributary system in the entire state. I think I saw more Canada Geese yesterday in one hour than I've seen in a combined total for my entire life; it was unreal... At any rate, I just got in from the snow and need to change out of my wet clothes. - See you next week

Anonymous said...

The cold front has cruised on down to Memphis as well, which made me appreciate my thermos of coffee even more than usual. My thermos put me in mind of the other portable means of getting a good cup of brew while out-the noble campfire coffeepot. I miss campfire coffee so bad right now. True campfire coffee is generally served ridiculously hot, and is strong enough to induce heart palpitations in some (literally, ask Kyle about that one). But campfire coffee is kind of like morel mushrooms, you can only get it under certain perfect conditions. So much the better that the perfect conditions require fooling around in the woods with good friends and plenty of time to kill doing important things, laughing, talking, catching up, getting caught up, frying bacon and then having cigars after breakfast. . . .the good stuff . I guess I miss the conditions more than the coffee/-Short

Sara Morse said...

"It's beginning to smell a lot like Christmas.." Man, there is nothing better than the smell of Cinnamon sticks and cardboard boxes!
ps- I told Sara about the bees and, oh baby!, I think it could happen...someday.